From:
Courtney Crocker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Mar 2011 11:53:25 -0400
My name is Courtney Crocker, and I am the Records System Manager for a
municipal government department.  The city has decided that one of its
project priorities for 2012 is an Enterprise Content Management (ECM) system
to be used for workflow and document management, digitization of public
records, public access, and archiving, retention, and disposition of public
records.  The IT group is managing this project, but has no one on staff
with any ECM experience, and absolutely no understanding of records
management and archiving.  They have performed a perfunctory stakeholder
analysis by interviewing representatives from every city department on what
they think they need.

Unfortunately, I am the only city employee that I am aware of with any
formal archival training, and have found few departments (all departments
manage their own records without a city wide policy or even departmental
policies) that are even aware of how to use the Municipal Records Retention
and Disposition Schedule.  IT is currently performing its "best practices"
research and is expected to compile their findings by the end of the week.
 One IT employee called and asked me to provide input as they were unsure of
how to do the research required for this phase of the project.

This ECM project is something that I am very invested in, and I am now
turning to this group for input so that I can gather accurate and applicable
information for IT.  Would you please help me?

Here is the information that I am looking for:

Do you have an ECM system or systems that you coordinate to meet your
content management needs?
What vendor, platform, interface, software are you using?
Who at your institution/organization uses it (depts, work groups)?
How many users do you have?
What is the volume of your workflow, document management, records
management, archiving program?
Who was responsible for the implementation of your system(s)?
What was the duration of the project, the resources needed, the cost?
What were the roll out strategies (i.e. phases, modules)?
What were the training needs for the success of the system(s)?
How is/are your system(s) supported?
What products/software does it interface with?
What barriers or lessons learned were found during this project?
What did you see as needed success factors for this project?
Who do you work for and what is the size of your institution/organization?

I thank you all in advance for being willing to help me pull
together relevant information.  I do not want this IT run project to fail,
and I am doing everything in my power to help it succeed.  If you know of
anyone in an organization that would have answers for these questions that
is not associated with this list, could you please forward it to them?

Thank you for your time and assistance!

Courtney Crocker

Records System Manager

City of Raleigh, Development Services
One Exchange Plaza, Suite 707
Raleigh, NC 27601

Office: (919) 516-2234

Fax: (919) 516-2235

E-mail:  <[log in to unmask]>[log in to unmask]

Website: www.raleighnc.gov