From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Apr 2011 11:13:36 -0400
This is sort of like the old story about finding a worm in an apple...

...what's worse is finding HALF a worm... and in your case, what hasn't been
found.  Termites are voracious and the multiply rapidly if unchecked.
Identifying the source is critical, as there may be eggs waiting to hatch in
adjacent boxes.

It's also important to identify where/how they entered the facility- if they
came in IN one of the boxes in question, or if they're in the structure or
entered through an opening somewhere... so obviously an inspection is called
for.  You may also want to determine if other boxes from this area have been
sent to other locations, as the problem may be in more than one place.

Naturally, and I'm sure you've done this, the boxes identified need to be
isolated from the facility, wrapped in plastic and taken out into an open
area, opened, emptied and repacked.  Typically, exposure to extreme cold or
heat will kill any living insects and or eggs, but to make sure eggs are
dead, they need to be frozen TWICE, a week apart.  The eggs are nearly
undetectable, they are small and usually in a sort of 'webby' matrix.

Contact one of the well known disaster recovery vendors that does vacuum
freeze drying and I'm sure they can take care of this.  Seeing as it's an
insect issue, I doubt you'd find anyone with a walk-in freezer that would
allow you to place your boxes there, even if they are wrapped tightly.  Heat
on the other hand can cause the insects or eggs to burst, and if it's too
high, well, I'm sure the risks are obvious.

Good luck to your 'friend'

Larry