From:
Barb Compton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 May 2011 07:19:40 -0700
Problem of the day:

The issue is related to linked/associated documents. For CAD drawings, there is significant use of what are called references files that are attached/linked to a CAD file. For example, a plant general equipment arrangement drawing may have multiple reference files attached. This represents an industry standard workflow where each engineering discipline creates a 3D model and the other disciplines reference those models for drawing creation in order to eliminate duplication of information. Each discipline drawing needs to convey unique information as well as common features within the plant. These links to the reference files need to be preserved in order to completely display the content. If the links are disrupted, then the main CAD file appears fragmented until the links are restored. Restoration of a reference file is done on a single file, no batch type restoration.

We have looked at several third party products and have found the following:

#1 Cost - very high, and include services which you would need because they are specialty products
#2 They force you to use their file plan
#3 They seem to force a model where they copy the files into their own software/repository to control it which works with our content management system (Documentum).

It’s being suggested once again to use one of these 3rd party systems to maintain the records - they would not be brought into the ECM solution at all.  And, of course, there are the usual politics swirling around the decision.

Has anyone else faced this issue and what solutions did you propose/use?
Has anyone used a 3rd party product but actually store the files inside of the ECM?
Problems, concerns, success?
Has anyone used Bentley Systems Projectwise?  McLaren?   Any others?

Thanks as always

Barbara Compton CRM

#1 Cost - very high, and include services which you would need because they are specialty products
#2 They force you to use their file plan
#3 They seem to force a model where they copy the files into their own software/repository to control it which works with our content management system (Documentum).

It’s being suggested once again to use one of these 3rd party systems to maintain the records - they would not be brought into the ECM solution at all.  And, of course, there are the usual politics swirling around the decision.

Has anyone else faced this issue and what solutions did you propose/use?
Has anyone used a 3rd party product but actually store the files inside of the ECM?
Problems, concerns, success?
Has anyone used Bentley Systems Projectwise?  McLaren?   Any others?

Thanks as always

Barbara Compton CRM
We are slowly moving toward an enterprise records system (Documentum).  We have been managing engineering records in the system.  Recently, I have been asked to bless another 3rd party system that will be used to store CAD files.

Here's the issue:

It is related to linked/associated documents. For CAD drawings, there is significant use of what are called references files that are attached/linked to a CAD file. For example, a plant general equipment arrangement drawing may have multiple reference files attached. This represents an industry standard workflow where each engineering discipline creates a 3D model and the other disciplines reference those models for drawing creation in order to eliminate duplication of information. Each discipline drawing needs to convey unique information as well as common features within the plant. These links to the reference files need to be preserved in order to completely display the content. If the links are disrupted, then the main CAD file appears fragmented until the links are restored. Restoration of a reference file is done on a single file, no batch type restoration.

We have looked at several third party products and have found the following:

#1 Cost - very high, and include services which you would need because they are specialty products
#2 They force you to use their file plan
#3 They seem to force a model where they copy the files into their own software/repository to control it which works with our content management system.

I'm not opposed to having systems that manage/manipulate data for users, but it is yet another system that will be managed, maintained, etc out of the boundaries we are trying to establish.

So to everyone who has a lot more experience that I do:
Has anyone else faced this issue with CAD solutions and what solutions did you use?