From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 May 2011 12:26:41 -0400
Barb-

My first hand experience with this is a bit dated, but I've discussed this
issue recently with others who are still currently involved in it.

Knowing the types of CAD documents/drawings you're discussing and the links
to 3rd party items (BoMs, P&IDs, Isos, spool drawings, others) many of which
are developed using proprietary file formats that can only be opened by
initializing the applications they are created in, it's a tough nut to crack.

I've seen where raster 'images' of the CAD files are included in an ECM
system with links out to the CAD application repository for the actual file
but not the working CAD file. This allows those who may need to 'see' the
file to do so, but not to have any access to a working copy.

Part of the reason for this is some files have a limited access to
authorized users, and the other part is the need to have the ECM link to the
CAD (Intergraph or AUTOCad) and all 3rd party applications (such as the
PRO-series), which can be time consuming to load, cumbersome to maintain,
and serves limited value for any/all users not needing such access.

Larry