From:
Wayne Hoff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 May 2011 16:38:12 -0400
I'm in the process of configuring retention parameters in our ERMS (I hope to
be able to apply destruction to electronic data soon.... maybe by 2037 it'll be
ready to go).  As it applies to electronic data, I'm given a choice of "Destroy"
(the electronic files within the record are destroyed, but the metadata is
kept) versus "Purge" (the electronic files and all metadata is destroyed).

I can think of some occasions where it might be good to have the metadata
on hand, but is there any huge advantage to it?  Do any of you keep your
metadata of destroyed records forever?  Or do any of you keep it for a certain
amount of time after the records are destroyed?  And in that case, do you
have the metadata as another category in your retention schedule?

Thanks for the feedback.

Wayne Hoff, CRM
Calgary, AB