From:
Tod Chernikoff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 May 2011 14:44:02 -0400

Date: Thu, 12 May 2011 14:09:30 -0400
From: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [RM] Destroy vs. Purge
To: [log in to unmask]

In part Julie said,

>The question raised here is, *if* you retain metadata about the destruction of records (be they analog or of the "e" variety), how long do you really need to keep it? Traditional RM best practice has told us that those are "permanent". But if we eat our own dog food a bit and ask "how long would this information truly be useful for its intended purpose" ... we might find that infinity is a bit of a stretch. So ... should we be scheduling the destruction of our destruction logs? If so, how long is long enough; and are there any exceptions? Do you keep destruction approvals, or purge those too, for example?<

Well now that I am back working with Federal Records, there is concrete guidance in this realm, and it was reviewed just last April.  GRS 16-2a (2) Records Disposition Files, Descriptive inventories, disposal authorizations, schedules, and reports - Other records, states..."Destroy 6 years after the related records are destroyed or after the related records are transferred to the National Archives of the United States, whichever is applicable."  And this schedule is media neutral, so it matters not if it is analog, or e-metadata.

http://www.archives.gov/records-mgmt/grs/grs16.html

For municipalities in the Commonwealth of Virgina, spent some time working in that realm, the Library of Virgina (governing body for that type of RM), in their schedules (last updated in 2009) requires

Records Management Files: Approved Certificates of Records Destruction (RM-3 Form) - This series consists of Records Officer’s copies of approved disposal certificates.
Retain 3 years then destroy. (General Schedule 19, Series 010090)

Seems that in the public records realm, infinity it is not.

Tod Chernikoff, CRM
Silver Spring MD
www.twitter.com/tchernik