From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 May 2011 21:12:32 -0700
So in the spirit of full disclosure, if you're honestly seeking
assistance/opinions from this body of professionals, maybe you can provide
some info for the membership.

You said:

" The Foundation has received a request to generate and publish a "Records
Management Framework". "

Who exactly IS 'the Foundation"? The website makes reference to 'we'. 'our'
and 'us' but your name seems to be the only one that appears on anything.

Who was the request from? You say it is intended to "teach some of the key
concepts of RM (from an IT
perspective)" so who in IT requested such an exhaustive work on RM concepts?

You also said:

"I've included the initial outline that's been submitted to the Foundation
for your review..."

Who submitted this outline?  It reads like your current "Framework" and much
of what's included in the "taxonomies" posted in the recent past, along with
other content on your website.  It also includes cherry-picked content from
recent past discussions held here on a variety of topics.

I can't see where the IT community would see a need for much of what is
listed here... and I have lots of first hand experience with interaction
with that community, from the vendor, user, public and private perspective.

I'd like the community's thoughtsÅ   Do you believe that the creation of such
> a public framework would or would not be useful?  Why or why not?

Vendors tend to see much more value in what you refer to as a "public
framework" than practitioners do.

The fact that you mention "...like the others, will be subject to iterative
improvements, over time..." make it a moving target, which is difficult to
hit.  AND you can't certify compliance against a moving target. Standards,
REAL Standards are prescriptive... the object is to design compliant
programs and elements to meet the requirements.  Practices are less
prescriptive, but for the most part use Standards as the framework they
attempt to provide guidance to assist programs attain compliance.

There is plenty of guidance related to Federal/Public records- most of it in
US Codes, Codes of Federal Regulation, along with other Statutes and Laws.
It's all VERY prescriptive, and whether you are a Fed Agency, State Agency
or a Contractor performing work that generates records that ultimately
belong to either of those entities, you are fully aware of what needs to be
done, physical of electronic format.  Doing it is another issue, most of the
disconnect is not due to a lack of guidance. it's due to a lack of funding.

Depending on who regulates what you do in the private sector, there's
typically a decent amount of guidance there as well... and even outside of
regulations, there are numerous Standards... I know, I spent 11 years
developing them, 4 of those as the Chair of the Committee.

Just trying to figure out where you're coming from here

Larry

--
*Larry Medina
Danville, CA