From:
Hugh Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 May 2011 10:19:48 -0400
> SNIPS From: Patrick Cunningham <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Re: Another Trend to Watch
>

> Um, LinkedIn had an IPO last week. They weren't sold to anyone other than their new shareholders.
And there I go again, sharing private info before it is public.  I personally predict Microsoft beats out Google this time.  (Google is too busy trying to wash all that newspaper ink off their hands. ) Like the comic strip "Peanuts" we know about the football. Like Charlie Brown, we trusted LinkedIn to just be a nice way to link together friends. But its success made it a target. The IPO is step one in the game, step two is leverage that data base to a wealthy company that can take advantage of it. IPO to acquisition before the frost is on the pumpkin

> The issue, however, is something that people need awareness of. I am gradually scaling back what I make available on social network sites (and to whom).

But the "whom" is always changing.

Once again the tutoring of Jerome and his gospel of Ludditeism has saved me. I was so slow figuring out how to use these things that it appears as if I am a security expert. (Young ones, check the Archive for Jerome and Luddites.)

> As someone who periodically gets involved in employee investigations, I know that the first places we look are LinkedIn and Facebook when we're trying to understand what someone might be up to.

As my kids will attest, I have never grasped Facebook technology or why I would want to have it. While I am often accused of having a mind that is "all-a-twitter", I have never actually electronically twittered.

LinkedIn really doesn't offer the link it promotes. This Listserve does.  If the Rapture hadn't gotten Larry he might be organizing our IPO at this very moment.

Where is the course on how to remove yourself from all this stuff when they sell off your network?  Can you ever just pull your finger out of the Internet and the water fills in the hole?  I have read that you cannot.  What is out there, can never be eliminated.  That is a dangerous thing. Every letter, email, sentence and photo is there forever.

And the spam, phishing, harpooning, etc. make it a dangerous place where no one can be trusted. A third party could alter that content. Has the Internet destroyed all sense of Trust and Decency?

In my world of vaulting, I see clients who want to protect their vital records and data but have lost all sense of what that might be??  The role of the records manager to classify, sort, delete and establish order would seem to be a truly valuable service in this world.

Google says it costs 40% more to keep it on line with utilities, networking, staffing, real estate and so on. Information assets on line are tremendously more likely to be hacked, fished and destroyed by malevolent parties.  Management is rediscovering the value of discretion. Tape back up is becoming popular again before it even really faded away.

How do we as an industry create the equivalent of a "Notarized Document" for that which is really vital?  The Cloud's lack of security and those who rushed to adopt it will soon realize they can no longer have an authentic record. As usual the big computer people in a rush to sell computer servers and software rushed in without any thought of real records management.  They rush us like con men at a carnival trying to force the decision before we have thought it through.  Steve Martin's character in the movie (Navin Johson) "The Jerk" finally grasped that the whole con game is not about winning or losing the game, it is.........."A Profit Deal!!"

Hugh Smith
FIRELOCK Fireproof Modular Vaults
(610)  756-4440    Fax (610)  756-4134
WWW.FIRELOCK.COM