From:
Bruce White <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Jun 2011 16:02:03 -0400
On Thu, Jun 9, 2011 at 3:30 PM, Preston Huff <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Of course these services are restricted to U.S. Federal agencies.  Over the years we found that increasingly we were encountering boxes for disposal that contained mixed media - or we had agencies that had a need to dispose of media and / or hard drives.  They didn't want to risk having the contents show up somewhere when they thought they had destroyed the media.  You hear of all kinds of "home grown" approaches to destroying media - such as skeet shooting with shotguns, putting them on train tracks, running them over with 18 wheel trucks, etc.  Actually you can view some of these on YouTube - and they are entertaining.

Preston's note about mixed media brought back an interesting memory.
Years ago while working at El Paso County, TX, the District Attorney's
Office asked my office to shred a number of boxes.  Because these were
case files (all paper is what I was told) they wanted the records
shredded on-site.  At the time I didn't have a heavy duty shredder and
hired a mobile shredding vendor to dispose of the boxes.

The vendor's employees arrive and proceeded to do their task.  About
thirty minutes in, one of them placed a large envelop into the
shredder, I heard a bang and glass shards went all over the place.
Turns out some of the attorneys placed evidence in envelopes with the
case file in the boxes, against office policy. I stopped the process
and had a couple of my employees go through each box, one by one.  We
found needles, vials containing blood and other substances, and other
evidence.  I ended up meeting with all of the DA's attorneys and
reemphasized the policy.

Bruce White, CRM, PMP
Newtown Square, PA
e-mail: [log in to unmask]