From:
John Montana <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Jun 2011 11:22:23 -0400
I agree with Larry.  The notion of a standard for search acceptability is problematic in many ways.  It's rather like defining a standard for how big a hole to dig.  Is the hole big enough?  Well, it depends -- on a lot of things.  Not least of them are the areas Larry points out, such as widely differing topics areas that make a single standard in and of itself a can of worms (and of course, the most common problem -- what if the data's just in lousy shape?), but also many other things -- suppose such a search standard could be defined, but it was very expensive to implement -- how do you reconcile this with smaller cases, or with parties that don't have unlimited budgets, or with speedy trial rules or a hundred other things that make optimal practice impractical even when theoretically possible?

The other fundamental issue you'd run into is that judges always have discretion to make exceptions, and they need it, for all the reasons above and many others.  And lawyers aren't in court to blandly acquiesce in letting the other side do whatever they think best.  They're there to win for their clients.  If it suits his/her client's case, any lawyer worth his/her salt will cheerfully stand there and argue that the standard:  isn't applicable/isn't any good/is the wrong one/is outdated/is unrealistic/isn't stringent enough in this case/is too stringent in this case/etc., etc., etc. and they'll try to sell it to the judge to use that discretion to make some sort of exception, and just as sure as God made little green apples they'd show up with some experts who agreed with them. And many times, they'll succeed in getting the judge to do something.  So then, after you've got a few of these cases on the books, the standard itself is subject to common law interpretation by resort to case law and the whole notion of a standard that doesn't need case decisions to construe and apply falls apart.

Best regards,

John
John Montaņa
Montaņa & Associates