From:
John Montana <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Jul 2011 10:00:04 -0400
I got mine more or less concurrently -- I worked in the RM biz whilst still in law school, and then stuck around afterwards.

I think that it could work well in different ways --- a law degree  is a useful formal credential in RM.  It often helps in meetings to sit with lawyers as a peer, and with others it adds weight to what you're saying, even when it's the same thing you would have said otherwise.  Knowledge of law, legal doctrine and legal research is very, very helpful on a practical level in many aspects of RM (but note here that many of the things you'd find helpful aren't part of the standard law school curriculum -- you'll be learning them on your own time).

On the other hand, these days, a sound knowledge of RM would be a mighty helpful thing for someone contemplating the practice of law, what with all the discovery, privacy and compliance issues that are on front burner these days.  I should also think there'd be many opportunities in places like accounting and audit firms, consulting firms and so on.  The combined RM/legal skill set is still rather rare, particularly at a high level, so there'd be some demand for your services, no doubt.

Bottom line, a JD offers a lot of opportunities, whether you're planning to stay on as a records manager, or whether you think you'd like to try practicing law in either a corporate or firm setting; or taking some third path.

Re titles, JD is the degree, like a PhD.  You can be a JD without having a license to practice.  Esq. is a courtesy title for others, not when referring to yourself (calling yourself John Smith Esq. on your business cards is about the same speed as referring to yourself as Mr. John Smith).  If you've got a license, your proper title is John Smith, Attorney at Law.

Best regards,

John
John Montaņa
Montaņa & Associates