From:
Charles Kennedy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 Jul 2011 16:51:58 -0400
First, my introduction.  I've been a lurker on the site for a good  while
now.  I came to Records Management as a discipline fairly late  in my
professional life, and have appreciated the insights of the site's  contributors as
well as the patience and teaching of more experienced  Records Managers in
my own organization, ARMA and elsewhere as I play catch  up and try to
understand it all.

a litigator in my firm for over 20 years before becoming director of our
records and docketing activities in multiple offices.  I've long  thought of
the management of a client's matter file as simply one component of  the
legal services we provide, for which the lawyer is ultimately  responsible.
Most ethics codes I've seen reflect something like this  view.  I think of my
role now as being a kind  of bridge builder, helping to improve
communication and understanding  between our lawyers, our records staff and our
technology folks.  In this  context, the JD and even more the experience I had in
practice have been  helpful, as have my experiences in collecting records from
clients and their  systems for discovery, and in using and understanding
our own computer  systems from a user's (and abuser's) perspective.  While
that's been  my path, I know there are a number of records professionals
working very  successfully and effectively in law firm or other legal environments
 without a law degree -- just as there are many very good lawyers who
probably  would not make particularly effective records professionals.  Viva
variety!  Personally, I don't use either the J.D. or Esq. suffixes in
referring to myself, although I guess I might use the J.D. and my class year if
writing to my law school or an alumni group, or in some other context in which
my academic pedigree was relevant.  Some other lawyers will use Esq. when
addressing formal correspondence to me, though I'm just as happy with
"Chuck".

Chuck Kennedy

On Jul 8, 2011, at 7:18 AM, Link, Gary M. wrote:

> I  have seen several records managers who have a "JD" after their name in
>  their title. I am curious about this: did you get your law degree first,
>  and then focus on RM? Or visa versa? Is JD the designation one uses when
>  one has a law degree but is not a practicing attorney at a law firm (who
>  use "Esq."), but rather works in another profession? Or are the two
>  simply interchangeable?  What career paths would open up for a  records
> manager who went on to earn a law degree but planned to still  work in
> RM?
>

> Thanks for clearing this  up for me.
>

> Gary Link, CRM
> Corporate  Records Manager
> 227 Fort Pitt Boulevard  Pittsburgh  PA   15222
> TEL 412.765.1700     www.astorino.com  <http://www.astorino.com/>
> Join the conversation on our blog:  www.discoverdesignbuild.com
> <http://www.discoverdesignbuild.com/>
>

> Please consider the environment before  printing this email.

> Contact  [log in to unmask] for assistance
> To unsubscribe from this  list, click the below link. If not already
present, place UNSUBSCRIBE RECMGMT-L  or UNSUB RECMGMT-L in the body of the
message.

List  archives at http://lists.ufl.edu/archives/recmgmt-l.html