From:
Bruce White <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Jul 2011 10:48:13 -0400
On Thu, Jul 14, 2011 at 5:03 PM, Laurie Wheat <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Do you happen to know which states require the retention of the paper
> documents?  I hope Colorado is not one of them...if it is, I am not
> aware of it nor have I been made aware of it!  10 years is a safe
> minimum for the retention of the medical file in general for practices
> (non-specialty, non-research) that have Medicaid and Medicare from what
> I was taught when I sold EHR.
Laurie,

If I remember correctly Colorado allows Medicaid service providers to
maintain records electronically.  Some of the states that still
required paper include New York, New Jersey and Arkansas.  10 years is
a fairly safe minimum although the average seems to be between five
and seven years.   Most of these can be found the Medicaid Manual that
states publish.  What I found during my research is that some of the
Medicaid requirements conflicted with state medical recordkeeping
laws.

The 10 year requirement applies to Medicare Advantage plans (42 CFR 422.504).

Bruce White, CRM, PMP
Newtown Square, PA
e-mail: [log in to unmask]