From:
Tom Wilson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Jul 2011 14:29:04 -0500
Do you receive your company's litigation list?  This could give you a better
sense of the risk landscape.  Potential eDiscovery costs could be all over
the board both in real costs and experiences or potential costs and risk.
I'm not sure any model will be a one size fits all.  I agree that the real
case is in retrieval, good governance (including privacy where more laws
exist) and surrounding the concepts of ESI for the amendments to the FRCP
which includes eDiscovery.  And if you think you don't have personally
identifiable information (PII) to protect outside of HR, remember that W-9's
(electronic or paper) and vendor setup information from sole proprietors
have the individual's name and Social Security Number as their Tax ID
number.  It's just another good risk consideration as fines for losing a
single name and Social Security Number run as high as $5000 per item in
Georgia.  In Texas where I'm located it's $500 per item.

I know that's not a complete answer to your request for an ROI, but I hope
it helps.