Date:
Mon, 1 Aug 2011 17:18:56 -0400
posted on behalf of Randy Kahn

** **

“As you point out, a lot depends on how you define the term 'successful.'  I
know that the U.S. Army has used autoclassification to deal with very large
volumes of information, and believe that many there feel that it is a
success story.

As it happens, I am leading a new group that is just in the process of
forming a network of professionals interested in autoclassification
technology called the “Council for Information Auto-Classification (CIAC)”.
The mission of CIAC is to educate on and advance the use and acceptance of
technologies that classify information while reducing human involvement.
 We're very interested in hearing about success stories, as well as concerns
about the use of autoclassification.  We're also in the process of creating
a survey that will help capture the current state of information
autoclassification.  Stay tuned for more information as our plans develop
Submitted by Randolph Kahn.”

****

** **

** **

To all:

I'm a long time listserv lurker, working on a records management
contract with the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency.

I'm following up on a query posted by Chris Olsen, May 11, 2010, where
he asked if anyone knew of a successful implementation of an
auto-classification or auto-categorization tool.  There were a couple of
so I am asking the question again.

I know that "successful" can be interpreted in any number of ways, but
whatever measure of success you use, I would be glad to hear from you.

Thanks for considering this particular question, and thanks for all the
good information over the years.

Sandy

****

** **