Date:
Fri, 12 Aug 2011 13:36:49 -0700
Quoting Todd Johnson <[log in to unmask]>:

> They want to know if we can scan 7,000 boxes and do away with the paper
> records.
>
> Todd,
As noted by others the answer is sure they can.  All they have to do is
capitalize the equipment and software, figure out what records types are being
dealt with, establish the indexing system, prepare the documents for scanning,
establish and do quality control on the scanning and indexing output,
decide on
on-line, near-line or off-line storage, establish security levels, establish
methodology and do disposition in a timely fashion, etc, etc.

My calculations done on academic studies of imaging costs tell me that at my
facility I can process, store, and retrieve files from a box of hard-copy
records for fifty years before it becomes cost effective to image them.  If
there is serious need for instantaneous and multiple access to the
records that
metric will change.  Dick King, U of A