From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Aug 2011 10:14:35 -0700
You may want to take a look here when it comes to engineering drawings,
calculations, standards and specifications

http://goo.gl/q7C9c

Also, if I read the Act correctly, it sounded as if a Federal Agency elected
to make a requirement that items be maintained in paper (source document or
'original') form they can do so as long as they take into account provisions
in the Act- which it seems to me are more related to "commerce" issues than
other issues.  There was also mention of an exception for records related to
the transportation of hazardous materials (which is something utility
owned/operated pipelines do).

Larry

One thing that made this unclear to me is it sounds as if it applies more to
new records generated in electronic forms, not necessarily to the decision
to convert existing records (especially those generated prior to the Act
passing in 2000)  by the use of scanning or imaging technologies.  There was
also some language about needing to obtain the acceptance of parties the
records were related to about the use of electronic systems, software and
hardware and also the notification of those parties in the future if you
elected to upgrade or modify the technologies used.

--
*Lawrence J. Medina
Danville, CA