From:
"Julie J. Colgan" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Aug 2011 15:45:57 -0400
I'm going to jump in and agree with Robert.  The obscurity of the
certification can be as much a hindrence to earning potential as it can be a
help - just depends on how you look at it.  I'll also agree with whoever
said it first ... if you can pass the exam, then it's fine by me.  As Deanna
has pointed out, there is a woeful lack of formal higher education in the
RIM space, which essentially necessitates signficant professional experience
in order to pass the exam in the first place.

This certification (as amended) isn't, IMO, substantively divergent from
other certifications in terms of candidate qualifications so for me it's a
non-issue.

I think much of this fray came about as a matter of word choice.  I don't
think I would have characterized the change as streamlining "administrative
hurdles".  Professional qualifications do not equal administrative hurdles.
That said, I fully support the change and think it breaks down barriers that
may have been quite superficial in the first place (that's assuming we can
all agree that the exams themselves are adequate to vet a
candidate's ability to practice successfully in today's world ... but that's
perhaps a conversation for another day).

I'll add, in close, that the streamlining of true administrative hurdles
(form completion and submission, communications, website functionality and
ease of use, etc.) is absolutely welcome across the ICRM experience.  Some
improvements have been made and more I'm sure are coming.  As the numbers of
CRMs increase, it becomes a matter of scalability for the Institute, which
may have significant consequences if not addressed proactively.

I offer my sincere thanks to the ICRM Board of Regents for their hard work,
strategic focus and for doing all of the things we elected them to do.

Stay Calm, Carry On (as says the sign over the bar at my favorite local pub)

Cheers,
Julie

--
Julie J. Colgan, CRM