From:
Peter Kurilecz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Aug 2011 18:31:27 -0400
On Thu, Aug 25, 2011 at 5:48 PM, Gregg Long <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Secondly, a generic "BA" does not generally teach the skills or deliver the
> experience that is relative to the knowledge required in today's records
> management environment.

No one ever said that a BA will provide you with the skills (which are
gained through experience) or deliver experience. A college education
teaches one how to think a skill that many folks lack at times.

> So while having a BA is useful to establish a base
> requirement for the promotion of a professional credential in this day and
> age, it is essentially irrelevant to the practice.

Fully agree which is why those who don't have an undergraduate degree are
able to substitute one year of documented experience for each year of
college. Total work experience needed if you have no undergraduate education
would be four years plus the standard one year. thus an individual with no
degree needs 5 years documented experience.

> Now, if it the degree in
> question had relevance to the practice of records and information
> management
> I could see where this might be practicable.

Here is where I deviate. I am against job specific degrees except in the
hard sciences. Taking a degree in RIM at the undergraduate level would IMHO
severely limit an individual's opportunities. What happens if after a year
working in RIM they decide they don't like it and want to change.

> IFor comparison, to be
> a lawyer, you must get through law school first prior to taking the Bar.

except in some states you don't need a law degree but only support of an
attorney who can attest to your knowledge of the law.

> Lowering entrance standards will equal more CRMs with less actual
> experience, which will equal an overall devaluing of the certification. In
> the exact same way that having a BA now means far far less than it did 30
> 40 years ago.

while the level of experience required has been lowered that does not mean
that anything else has been lowered. You still must pass all 6 exams before
getting the designation. And from the various emails i've received over the
years asking for advice I can attest that the exams are not as many think
they are . For example I mentored one very experience RM on Part 6 and it
took 3 times for that individual to pass it.

The certification process does nothing more than baseline your knowledge of
RIM, once you receive the designation the individual is responsible for
living up to the designation.

I'm looking forward to increased numbers of CRMs in the coming years.

Peter Kurilecz CRM CA
Richmond, Va
http://twitter.com/RAINbyte
http://paper.li/RAINbyte/rainbyte