From:
Ilona Koti <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Aug 2011 17:33:41 -0700
Having read the majority of the comments about the ICRM’s requirements change, I believe that the ICRM has made some very calculated decisions on the exam adjustments which certainly encourage new applicants and will draw new members to the association that were previously unable to qualify for the CRM exam.

As for experience, I think it depends on the individual.  Age, I think is the least of concern, there are some very qualified young professionals that are striving to advance their careers and have been excluded based on required years of RIM experience.  On the other hand there are some very qualified RIM professionals with 40+ years that have openly chosen to not pursue the CRM designation.  Either way, having the CRM designation sets a basic set of shared expectations when working with credentialed records managers that hold the CRM title.

The CRM is also only a guideline for employers.  Given that there are just over 1,000 CRMs in the entire world today, even though an employer may request a CRM designation there is such a shortage of CRMs that employers are hiring without the CRM designation.  Additionally, when applicants apply for a job, I would like to think that a resume accompanies the applicant that clearly lists the experience of the applicant and that the employer can decide based upon a multitude of personal and professional factors if that individual is a good fit for the organization.

What we also need to realize is that there is a significant gap between newcomers to the CRM credential and the amount of actual CRMs that are set to retire in the next few years, or those who are already retired but are still proud to hold the CRM distinction.  I think that the ICRM has recognized this issue and is actively positioning themselves to address the market need of producing qualified CRMs.  For those who have sat for the CRM we all know how difficult the exam is to pass.  It is not just within the results of passing the exam, but the tedious process of preparing for the test that shapes us as professionals and makes us strive to be better at what we do, to not only be records managers, but leaders who guide the information strategy of our employers and clients.

The CRM is a distinction that cannot be bought, it has to be earned through a rigorous process of hands on practical experience in addition to a great deal of studying.  As Peter mentioned, you don’t have to go to law school to take the bar exam – you just have to know the law.  If a file clerk straight out of college with one year of RIM experience can pass the CRM exam on their first try, then I will say that they are far smarter than I, and I welcome them to the profession because in ten years they will be amazing and they have earned their place and should be treated with the same distinction as those who took several years or several attempts to pass the exam.  Until then, I wish everyone the best of luck who is still sitting for the exam.  I welcome the newcomers and congratulate the ICRM for making a bold decision for the future.

Stay focused, stay positive and stay educated…

Ilona N. Koti
MLS, CRM, PMP, CDIA+

Crystalview Consulting Group
Principal Consultant