From:
Peter Kurilecz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Aug 2011 00:13:37 -0400
On Thu, Aug 25, 2011 at 11:44 PM, Greg Schildmeyer <[log in to unmask]>wrote:

> So, Peter asked how does this change diminish the value of the CRM?  Gregg
> Long said it well in his post - over time we will have more CRMs with less
> actual experience.  Employers who hire these people will notice their
> inexperience, and will likely conclude that the salary premium that they
> awarded for the CRM designation was a poor investment.  When the next CRM
> applies for a position - me, for example, with 24 years in records
> management and 13 years of management and analytical experience before that
> - the employer won't automatically assume that the CRM means I'm a good
> candidate, worth more than the basic starting salary.

I would truly wonder about an employer who does not look at the experience
of the individual they are hiring. I regular receive notifications for new
positions where a CRM is desired/preferred/required. In every single case
the employer also specifies the MINIMUN number of years that an applicant
must have. I've yet to see an job posting that didn't have that in there. If
an employer only hires an individual because they have a certification
without asking about their work experience then that is there problem. The
certification is but one factor amongst a number of factors.

In my mind the designation is still not diminished.

Has the PMP designation been diminished over time as more and more
individuals acquire that designation? I think not. I've worked with many
individuals who were project managers some had the designation others didn't

Care to wonder how many PMPs there are? try in the tens of thousands.

after 30 some odd years care to guess how many CRMs there are? Want to
increase our influence? then we need to grow our numbers and unfortunately
we aren't growing at all.

--
Peter Kurilecz CRM CA
Richmond, Va