From:
Dwight WALLIS <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Aug 2011 08:59:14 -0700
A number of folks have pointed to the value of experience in acquiring
records management skills. Because of a lack of formal educational
activities widely available, the CRM is somewhat different than other
certifications in that it acts both as a testing/certification experience,
and an educational experience. Essentially, the CRM acts as both a test of
what you have learned, and serves as a structure presenting what you need to
learn.

Consequently, passing the CRM exam is a reflection not only of professional
experience; its also a reflection of a successful learning experience. With
other certifications, the learning experience occurs prior to taking the
exam; with the CRM, the learning experience can take place while taking the
exam. My suspicion is that this has actually been the experience of most who
have successfully taken this exam - it was the principle reason why I took
it, and discovered, for example, that I needed more work in disaster
recovery techniques.

I had suggested earlier that passing the CRM test indicates a person who is
qualified to practice Records Management. With Patrick's comments in mind,
I'd like to edit that somewhat and say that it really reflects mastery of a
body of knowledge called Records Management. And given that that body of
knowledge is not only subject to continual evolution, but is also spread
widely over ARMA initiatives such as GARP, international standards, legal
requirements, texts and other sources, having a certification examination
that not only tests but teaches (and in turn promotes) that body of
knowledge is invaluable.

With this in mind, opening the exam to more "takers" strikes me as a
positive move. As Peter and others have pointed out, the exam itself remains
as rigorous as ever.

And my sincere thanks to all of the volunteers who have helped develop and
support this certification over the years!
--
Dwight Wallis, CRM
Multnomah County Records Management Program