From:
Stephen Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Aug 2011 12:30:13 -0400
"A number of folks have pointed to the value of experience in acquiring records management skills. Because of a lack of formal educational
activities widely available, the CRM is somewhat different than other certifications in that it acts both as a testing/certification experience,
and an educational experience. Essentially, the CRM acts as both a test of what you have learned, and serves as a structure presenting what you need to learn.

Consequently, passing the CRM exam is a reflection not only of professional experience; its also a reflection of a successful learning experience. With other certifications, the learning experience occurs prior to taking the exam; with the CRM, the learning experience can take place while taking the exam. My suspicion is that this has actually been the experience of most who have successfully taken this exam - it was the principle reason why I took it, and discovered, for example, that I needed more work in disaster recovery techniques."

Dwight:

Well said!  I started in RM in 1997 but I didn't start sitting for the exams until 2006.  I finally decided to sit for the exams for a few reasons, the first of which was I was laid off from my last position and I wanted to give myself a chance in the future if that happened again.  Having the CRM could only increase the chances of me getting a job I really wanted, or back in 2005, really needed.  Even though I had been working in RM for 9 years, there was still a lot to learn and to Dwight's point, I did not have the opportunity gain any formal RM education in the classroom other than one class offered while I was working toward my MLIS.  This was my opportunity to learn as much as I could about RM and I did.  I found out that by studying for the exams, I still had much to learn.  Finally, RM is my chosen profession and I love working where I do and doing what I do.  Since RM is my profession, why wouldn't I want to obtain the most prestigious RM certification available.  Much like a consultant would want to obtain the CMC or an IT project manager would want to obtain the PMP, I wanted to obtain the CRM.

I think what the ICRM BOD did was a good thing.

Thanks, Steve

Stephen A. Smith, MLIS, CRM, CDIA+
Records Manager
QVC, Inc.  Internal Audit
O:      484.701.1559
F:      484.701.1021
C:      484.905.2517
E:      [log in to unmask]
A:      Studio Park, 1200 Wilson Dr., MC207, West Chester, PA, 19380-4262

This message (including any attachments) contains confidential information intended for a specific individual and purpose, and is protected by law. This e-mail may also contain (a) information subject to the attorney/client privilege, or (b) attorney work product. If you are not the intended recipient of this e-mail (even if the e-mail address above is yours), (i) you may not use, copy or retransmit it, (ii) please delete this message and (iii) please notify the sender immediately. Any disclosure, copying, or distribution of this message or the taking of any action based on it, is strictly prohibited.