From:
Tod Chernikoff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Aug 2011 10:31:42 -0400
Kristen:

I'm sure the next question many will ask is, "Are you going to ask to eliminate the set up fees, or what ever they call them to put a box into storage/system?"

I understand there is a difference between a reasonable cost for the processing (beyond the physical movement of the records) in and out of of the records center and what some would consider a "Hostage Fee."  I believe this is where you need to focus or have this built into the cost structure of your service.

I have worked with large storage vendors (I was a large customer with over 100K containers in storage and paying them over a half million dollars annually for services coast-to-coast) and negotiated some variances where we had boxes checked out a long time (cost equal to or greater than "Out" fee) that we found were never going back and the vendor waived the "Out" fee since they had already recouped what that would have been, and wiped the boxes from their system.  There is room for negotiations I believe when it comes to cost structures for these services.

Tod Chernikoff, CRM
www.twitter.com/tchernik