From:
Patrick Cunningham <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Patrick Cunningham <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Aug 2011 09:34:52 -0700
That is an interesting concept. Manages the annual cost for t
Doug,

That is an interesting concept. Manages the annual cost for the customer and guarantees a level of revenue for the vendor. The only problem is when things get crazy. My experience over time has been the all in costs for commercial records centers for a moderately active account work out to around $5 per cubic foot per year. I've found that to be a useful budgetary number, although far from scientific and certainly not representative of a very large sample size. But it seems to work when I have tested it. That said, if I were a vendor, I'd want a fair amount of history before considering a fixed fee deal. I think that many organizations are hard-pressed to articulate their "normal" levels of activity and thus have trouble estimating the annual spend to begin with.

Contractually, I think a vendor would have to set some limits. In other words, a fixed fee only applies to standard services, there are volume and activity caps, and so forth. I'm not sure that such an arrangement would do anything other than create a budgeted expense, but anomalies to what is "normal" clearly blow the model out of the water. I doubt that a vendor would want to assume normal activities, then be presented with a 10% retrieval volume for litigation. Likewise, I doubt a vendor would like this sort of agreement, then find out that the customer wanted to destroy 20% of their volume in storage. The risk is really driven over to the vendor and the only upside is if the customer underutilizes the contracted services.

Patrick Cunningham, CRM, FAI

"Perpetual optimism is a force multiplier."
-- Colin Powell