From:
"Gebhardt, Allen" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Aug 2011 10:17:16 -0700
Hello Erin,

Regarding your post, let me just say... wow!  I can’t speak to the legal technicalities of FERPA OR HIPPA because my expertise is with managing records for law firms.  I do want to say, however, that at my firm Records has access to all files and documents in our RM database.  We have override permissions and have in place special security processes for handling of sensitive material such as H.R. records.  What you describe sounds like the beginning of a Kafka or Vonnegut novel and it is frankly a bit insulting to the professional nature of records management.  With some RM databases you can set your audit trail to track who has accessed an image or file.  You also may be able to set permissions such that only Records Managers and above would have access to particularly sensitive material.  Fundamentally there is no case for I.T. having greater access to content than Records.  In fact it is the reverse because the role of I.T. is technical support and the role of Records is content management.  Let me ask you this.  Does the I.T. department have access to these images?  Would they say they must have access in order to manage them?  This would be a starting point for showing the illogical nature of this restriction.

Good luck to you in changing this attitude.

Allen Gebhardt
Regional Records Manager
Cooley LLP
Direct: 650-849-7030 • Fax: 650-849-7400
Email: [log in to unmask] • www.cooley.com
Printing of emails does have an effect on the environment.   If possible, please refrain.