From:
John Montana <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Sep 2011 09:57:51 -0400
John's statement points to the essential issue that you have to resolve in a case like this. In order to remove the triggers you must either:

1) Do a worst-case analysis and set your  retention to a very conservative value.  Then you must recognize that in most cases the retention period will be much longer than it needs to be (in John's example, decades too long for most records) since the worst-case scenario is undoubtedly an outlier.  this excessive retention is now just a cost of doing business.

2) Attempt to do some sort of average–case analysis, setting your retention to what you believe would be the usual period of need for the records, recognizing  there will be cases where the worst-case scenario will in fact happen and you won't have the records you need.  This also becomes a cost of doing business.

This sort of compromise, necessarily involving the fact that you have to eat some cost or risk or  both, is unavoidable.   Many of these triggering events are embedded in legal requirements or are necessarily a function of the record and what it's used for.

Best regards,

John
John Montaña
Montaña & Associates