From:
Janie Wait <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Mar 2012 08:55:26 -0600
Hi all,

Need some input regarding large format document archive writing.  Typically
we have always filmed large format and bound books on 35mm film at 18:1 or
21:1 reduction due to equipment restraints.  Now, with the ability to burn
images directly to film we have the option of burning these on 16mm film at
42:1 reduction, which is still a standard ratio with standard lenses on the
retrieval equipment.

The burning question is at what lose of quality?

My thoughts are that the scans are only at 300 DPI to begin with, we will
probably only ever come back to a digital image and the technology is so
different that we may not have any significant loss of quality by going to a
higher ratio.

If you have any direct experience or knowledge about these processes please
let me know.  If it turns out we collectively have no previous information
regarding this issue then I will take it upon myself to directly test out
the situation...but I would like to think I am not the first to try saving
some significant money for my clients this way!

Janie Wait, CRM, MBA
President
Director of Marketing
Intermountain Record Center, Inc