From:
Gordy Hoke <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Gordy Hoke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 May 2012 08:30:30 -0500
While endorsing the bulk of what the esteemed Mr. Cunningham has said, I would like to append:

Records management is a discipline that has evolved over thousands of years.  In the process, the extremes have been rounded off, the fads have fallen away, and we have inherited what's really important. In this sense, RIM is like the legal profession.

Contrast this to AIIM, formed in 1947 as the National Micrographics Association.  Then it was the Association of Information and Image Mgmt., then AIIM International, then AIIM the ECM org., etc.  Every year at the annual conference there is a new buzz word.  This year it was "big data".  This serves the technology vendors well, but it is not a systematic discipline, and the model will help neither our profession nor the organizations we serve.

ARMA should build its work on a strong foundation of study and principled practice.  Ephemeral understandings will pass away like the band wagon.  When it's gone, you can't hear the music anymore.

Just my personal penny....

Gordy
Gordon E.J. Hoke, CRM

Gordon E.J. Hoke