From:
Glenn Sanders <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 May 2012 20:44:15 +1000
Agreed. Where I am now, invoices are scanned and the data goes straight
into the accounts payable system. Works well.

But two things to think about:

If it's a bother actually doing the scanning, consider outsourcing. A
bureau collects your mail, either from you or directly from the post
office, and you get the data an hour or two later. It works, and it's cost
effective. And don't bother me with blather about security, you can easily
cover that with the right clauses in the contract. Outsourcing is well
worth considering.

Second point: count all your invoices for a week or so, and figure out the
20% of creditors responsible for 80% of the invoices. Convince them to send
PDF invoices, and at least you bypass the physical scanning part of it. The
OCR will work either way. Even better, persuade those creditors to send
data files system to system.

That's my prime argument, in three successive jobs now, against fitting out
the mail handling with banks of scanners: stop it coming in on paper in the
first place.

It works. We've cut down the volume of paper invoices by at least 50%, and
more to come.

Scanning proposals are often simplistic, and can be evidence of incomplete
analysis. But if you must, outsource. If not, then the fancy software works
well.

Cheers

Glenn

Glenn Sanders
Australia
0407 187 333
These views are mine alone. They may or may not be those of any
previous or present employers or clients. I don't know. If I'd asked and
they'd agreed, I would have signed it "Harry Peck and Co and Glenn".
Or whatever. But I haven't, so I didn't.