From:
Chris Flynn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Sep 2012 09:22:40 -0500
Jeanine,

First I would say Happy Birthday to James Bertram Rhoads, Former Archivist
of the United State of America, Happy Birthday Bert.

Be proactive in dealing with records that are not available for disposal
when the retention period is met. Train staff to own this. Documentation
must detailed and consistant. In your case get in writing from the staff
involved what happened, when etc. the more detail the better. Then provide
documentation for your soloution. How are you going to ensure that this
does not happen again. Due diligence is the key. Not every variable in the
business process can be anticipated. When something happens outside the
process we have the reposnisbility to recognize it, deal with with and
arrive at solution.

As far lawyers go.... They will do what they do.
We cannot control what a judge will decide, that is why they try the cases.
Our role is to own what we are responsible for.

Retention of this series can be problematic.
Keeping the records can be as easy as life of the original retention period
plus 3.
What happens if the records were permanent?
What happens if in same occurrence permanent and temporary records are
destroyed?
What happens if the records are part of a disaster?
What happens if?
Begin with the record syou are dealing with now.
Assign a reasonable, rational, retention to the series.
Next begin to address the what ifs.
Think it out and have a plan in place for future occurances.
Build granularity into your policies and retention schedule/

DO NOT IGNORE THE OCCURRENCE
Auditors dread it.
Lawyers drool over it.
Jusdges have no patience for it