From:
"Julie J. Colgan" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Apr 2013 13:41:26 -0400
Hi Carol,

I'd be more interested to know how people are *defining* success and the
value it provides to the organization, than what or how anything is
specifically measured.

In my opinion, it is often how we in RM have been defining success and
articulating the value of said success that is a bigger disconnect between
the RM program and our organization's executives and corporate strategies
than the measurements themselves.  Then again, I don't know many companies
who are actively incorporating the value of information and its proper
governance into the organization's overall strategies and success metrics
either.

There is still a broad communication gap between information stakeholders
(RM, IT, Legal, Execs, LOB, etc.), and common misunderstandings among them
that perpetuate splintered management strategies and tactics.  I am hopeful
that, in time, best practices such as the Generally Accepted Recordkeeping
Principles and its IG Maturity Model will close that gap and get us all
thinking and acting in a holistic, strategic way about our information
assets; and doing so at the height of corporate strategy rather than mired
in middle management.

Once we reach that point we will be positioned to devise the best
measurements to take.  For now, we still can't all agree on where we're
going so there's no way we'll all agree if and when we get there.

My two cents on a Friday afternoon.

Julie

--
Julie J. Colgan, CRM