From:
Gary Link <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Apr 2013 16:29:57 -0400
I as I mentioned earlier this week, I am trying to create a list of data
map development tasks and their corresponding RIM competencies. I have put
together a draft and am going to paste it to this post below my signature
block. It is in a Word table, and  I don't know if the table is going to
come across on a list email. It should be a two-column table, the
left-hand column will be "Data Map Task" and the right-hand column should
be "Related RIM Competency." If it did work, please feel free to add to
the list in either column. If it did not work and the table does not come
across, let me know and I'll try something else.

Thanks,
Gary Link
Pittsburgh, PA

Data Mapping and Records & Information Management (RIM)

Data Map Task
Related RIM Core Competency
Partner with appropriate business Units.
As an enterprise-wide function, RIM routinely partners with other business
units to accomplish the tasks within its area of responsibility, usually
Legal, IT, SME?s, LOB?s.
Create an overview of the company?s IT infrastructure tiers and platforms.

Determine the tool to hold the information that will be collected during
the info/data gathering phase. Will it just be the repository, or will it
also constitute the presentation of the data map, i.e., spreadsheet?
Database? Intranet pages?

Identify all data repositories.
Inventorying records in all formats ? paper, electronic, microforms ? is a
standard function and practice of and RIM program.  This is usually done
during development of a records retention schedule and related tasks.
Determine the owner of the data

The provenance of records repositories as well as their business purpose &
function are essential elements of a RIM inventory.
Determine the purpose (or function) of the data.
Classify the data in terms of:

Type (structured, unstructured, email, voicemail, web site, social media)

Storage (on-line, near-line, off-line, inaccessible)

Security (restricted, confidential, internal, public)

File classification is a standard function within an RIM program.
Determine the retention of the data
A central function of an RIM program is to determine the retention of
records based on their operational, fiscal, legal, and historical value to
the organization.
Assemble/enter the information gathered into the tool selected.

Verify the data map by selecting certain types of ESI and seeing if they
are found  where the data map says they are. Retrieve some of the selected
records to see if there are any problems in the retrieval and gauge the
amount of time & effort in an actual retrieval.

Publish the data map.

Update the data map on a regular schedule.

The contents of this email are the property of PNC. If it was not addressed to you, you have no legal right to read it. If you think you received it in error, please notify the sender. Do not forward or copy without permission of the sender. This message may contain an advertisement of a product or service and thus may constitute a commercial electronic mail message under US Law. The postal address for PNC is 249 Fifth Avenue, Pittsburgh, PA 15222. If you do not wish to receive any additional advertising or promotional messages from PNC at this e-mail address, click here to unsubscribe. https://pnc.p.delivery.net/m/u/pnc/uni/p.asp
By unsubscribing to this message, you will be unsubscribed from all advertising or promotional messages from PNC. Removing your e-mail address from this mailing list will not affect your subscription to alerts, e-newsletters or account servicing e-mails.