From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 May 2013 12:32:27 -0700
On Thu, May 9, 2013 at 8:24 AM, Shelly Smith
<[log in to unmask]>wrote:

> Hi There,
>
> I was wondering if anyone had a reference to any official guidelines for
> calculating the amount of records, documents, emails based on
> measurements.
>
> I have a Standard Operation Procedure which states 1" of hardcopy records
> is equivalent to 20 minutes of search time?     Does anyone have any
> e-discovery references that would back this up?

Suffice to say "It Depends"

1" of documents isn't even equal to itself.

one sided or two sided?
letter or legal sized?
flat or folded?
loose, stapled or in folders?
20# or 50# bond?
onion skin or NCR paper?
typewritten or hand written?
originals or 3rd generation copies?

There are so many variable to consider, the only way to really make a
determination that means anything is to take one (or multiple) samples from
the repository to be searched and actually review them, then collect your
results and calculate an average.  But even in this case, if you see that
samples 1, 2 and 3 result in drastically different times, you would need to
ascertain if the overall repository is more of any one of the three
varieties.

And I'm a bit confused by your question in general... you asked about 1" of
hard copy records... but you also asked about e-mails and mentioned
e-discovery... so when it comes to responding to e-discovery issues and
evaluating electronic format content, you're sort of mixing apples and
oranges.

Larry

*Lawrence J. Medina
Danville, CA