From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Sep 2013 11:34:01 -0700
I think this is yet another case where Saxe comes into play:

http://www.noogenesis.com/pineapple/blind_men_elephant.html

Before we can have an honest discussion on this subject, all parties need
to agree upon the "Definition of a Record" otherwise, we will continue
chasing our tails around the tree until we turn into butter.(and I'm sure
most of us recall what story that's from, but I'm not going to cite it
here).

Anything can be a record to anyone or any organization, as long as they
can  demonstrate it is what it purports to be and can ensure that it is
free from tampering.

So, depending on what angle you approach the elephant (record) from, and
your impression of are "seeing", almost ANYTHING can be a record.

re·cord  (r-kôrd)
*v.* *re·cord·ed*, *re·cord·ing*, *re·cords*
*v.**tr.*
*1. * To set down for preservation in writing or other permanent form.
*2. * To register or indicate: The clerk recorded the votes.
*3. *
*a. * To register (sound or images) in permanent form by mechanical or
electrical means for reproduction.
*b. * To register the words, sound, appearance, or performance of by such
means: recorded the oldest townspeople on tape; recorded the violin
concerto.
*v.**intr.*
To record something.
*n.* *rec·ord* (rkrd)
*1. *
*a. * An account, as of information or facts, set down especially in
writing as a means of preserving knowledge.
*b. * Something on which such an account is based.
*c. * Something that records: a fossil record.
*2. * Information or data on a particular subject collected and preserved: the
coldest day on record.
*3. * The known history of performance, activities, or achievement: your
academic record; hampered by a police record.
*4. * An unsurpassed measurement: a world record in weightlifting; a record
for cold weather.
*5. * *Computer Science* A collection of related, often adjacent items of
data, treated as a unit.
*6. * *Law*
*a. * An account officially written and preserved as evidence or testimony.
*b. * An account of judicial or legislative proceedings written and
preserved as evidence.
*c. * The documents or volumes containing such evidence.
*7. *
*a. * A disk designed to be played on a phonograph.
*b. * Something, such as magnetic tape, on which sound or visual images
have been recorded.
*Idioms: *
*go on record*
To embrace a certain position publicly: go on record in favor of the
mayor's reelection.
*off the record*
Not for publication: The senator told the reporters that his remarks were
strictly off the record.
*on record*
Known to have been stated or to have taken a certain position: The
senator's opposition to the new legislation is on record.
------------------------------
[Middle English recorden, from Old French recorder, from Latin recordr, *to
remember* : re-, *re-* + cor, cord-, *heart*; see kerd- in Indo-European
roots.]

The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
copyright ©2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Updated in 2009.
Published by Houghton
Mifflin Company <http://www.eref-trade.hmco.com/>. All rights reserved.
------------------------------
record
*n* [ˈrɛkɔːd]
*1.* an account in permanent form, esp in writing, preserving knowledge or
information about facts or events
*2.* (Law) a written account of some transaction that serves as legal
evidence of the transaction
*3.* (Law) a written official report of the proceedings of a court of
justice or legislative body, including the judgments given or enactments
made
*4.* anything serving as evidence or as a memorial the First World War is a
record of human folly
*5.* *(often plural)* information or data on a specific subject collected
methodically over a long period weather records
*6.*
*a.*  the best or most outstanding amount, rate, height, etc., ever
attained, as in some field of sport an Olympic record a world record to
break the record for the long jump
*b.*  (*as modifier*) a record time
*7.* the sum of one's recognized achievements, career, or performance the
officer has an excellent record
*8.* (Law) a list of crimes of which an accused person has previously been
convicted, which are known to the police but may only be disclosed to a
court in certain circumstances
(Law)
*have a record* to be a known criminal; have a previous conviction or
convictions
*10.* (Electronics) Also called *gramophone record* *disc* a thin disc of a
plastic material upon which sound has been recorded. Each side has a spiral
groove, which undulates in accordance with the frequency and amplitude of
the sound. Records were formerly made from a shellac-based compound but
were later made from vinyl plastics
*11.* the markings made by a recording instrument such as a seismograph
*12.* (Electronics & Computer Science / Computer Science) *Computing* a
group of data or piece of information preserved as a unit in
machine-readable form
*13.* (Electronics & Computer Science / Computer Science) (in some computer
languages) a data structure designed to allow the handling of groups of
related pieces of information as though the group was a single entity
*for the record* for the sake of a strict factual account
*go on record* to state one's views publicly
*16.* See off the record <http://www.thefreedictionary.com/off+the+record>
*on record*
*a.*  stated in a public document
*b.*  publicly known
*set or put the record straight* to correct an error or misunderstanding
*vb* [rɪˈkɔːd] *(mainly tr)*
*1.* to set down in some permanent form so as to preserve the true facts of to
record the minutes of a meeting
*2.* to contain or serve to relate (facts, information, etc.)
*3.* to indicate, show, or register his face recorded his disappointment
*4.* to remain as or afford evidence of these ruins record the life of the
Romans in Britain
*5.* (Electronics) *(also intr)* to make a recording of (music, speech,
etc.) for reproduction, or for later broadcasting
*6.* (Physics / General Physics) *(also intr)* (of an instrument) to
register or indicate (information) on a scale the barometer recorded a low
pressure
[from Old French *recorder* to call to mind, from Latin *recordārī* to
remember, from re- + *cor* heart]
*recordable*  *adj*

Collins English Dictionary – Complete and
Unabridged<http://www.thefreedictionary.com/_/misc/HarperCollinsProducts.aspx?English>©
HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003
 ------------------------------
re•cord (*v. * rɪˈkɔrd; *n., adj. * ˈrɛk ərd)

*v.t. *
* 1. * to set down in writing or the like, as for the purpose of preserving
evidence.
 * 2. * to cause to be set down or registered: to record one's vote.
 * 3. * to state or indicate, so as to be noted.
 * 4. * to serve to tell of: The diary records two secret meetings.
 * 5. * to set down, register, or fix by characteristic marks, incisions,
magnetism, etc., for the purpose of reproduction by a phonograph or
magnetic reproducer.
 * 6. * to make a recording of.
*v.i. *
* 7. * to record something; make a record.
*n. *
* 8. * an account in writing or the like preserving the memory or knowledge
of facts or events.
 * 9. * information or knowledge preserved in writing or the like.
 * 10. * a report, list, or aggregate of actions or achievements: a fine
sailing record.
 * 11. * a legally documented history of criminal activity: All the
suspects had records.
 * 12. * something or someone serving as a remembrance; memorial.
 * 13. * something on which sound or images have been recorded for
subsequent reproduction, as a grooved disk that is played on a phonograph
or an optical disc for recording sound or images; recording. Compare compact
disc. <http://www.thefreedictionary.com/compact%20disc>
 * 14. * the standing of a team or individual with respect to contests won,
lost, and tied.
 * 15. * a group of related fields treated as a unit in a database.
 * 16. * an official written report of proceedings of a court of justice.
*adj. *
* 17. * making or affording a record.
 * 18. * surpassing or superior to all others: a record year for sales.

--
*Lawrence J. Medina
Danville, CA