From:
Pilar McAdam <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Nov 2013 15:18:21 +0000
>I fell (or tripped) into Records Management at an aerospace company
>(Hughes Space & Communications), where Iıd spent 19 years working my way
>through a variety of technical and administrative support positions.
>Immediately prior to the RIM opportunity, Iıd worked in asset management
>(maintaining and accounting for the facilities and equipment, both
>company-owned and customer-owned).  Since the US Government was a big
>customer, and they supplied a lot of equipment, Iıd had to learn a lot
>about the Federal Acquisition Regulations (FAR), and their contract
>clauses dealing with property.

>One of my assignments was coordinating the internal audit activities that
>were reported to the US Government.  Part of this assignment included
>preparing the audit statistics and reports, reviewing them with my
>manager, and then sending them to the Government Contract Administrator.
>Every time I reviewed these reports with my manager, he wanted to
>³manipulate² the data to make things look better than they really were,
>which I felt was unethical.  Weıd usually work out our disagreements, and
>reach some compromise, but each such meeting left me feeling more and
>more uncomfortable, and I started to think about looking for another
>position.

When I heard that a new administrative organization was being created, I
contacted its new manager to ask if there might be a place for me.  She
asked me to be the Records Manager, to which I responded, ³Whatıs that?²

It turned out that my years managing physical assets were a great
preparation for managing intellectual assets! Since Iıd spent those
previous 19 years dealing with most of the different departments in the
company, I was already familiar with the types of information
created/maintained by the company.  Iıd had lots of experience working
with purchase orders, contract terms and conditions, supplier management,
audits, internal controls, writing policies and procedures, training, etc.
 Who knew that one job ‹ Records Manager ‹ would allow me to exercise ALL
of those skills?  Thatıs the primary reason Iıve stayed with this
profession: there are so many different things to do that Iıve never
gotten bored!

The secondary reason Iım still in this profession is our community of
professionals.  When I joined ARMA I found a network of bright, motivated,
interesting people who are generous with their time and resources.

I never knew this profession existed until I stumbled into it, but Iım
sure glad that I did!

Pilar C. McAdam, CRM, ERMm
Los Angeles, CA