From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Mar 2014 15:02:52 -0700
On Fri, Mar 14, 2014 at 10:29 AM, Mangiaracina, Ann <
[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Happy Friday Everyone!
>
> I'm meeting with our Office of the General Counsel to discuss revising our
> policy for when an original hard copy can be disposed of after being
> scanned.
>
> Our current policy is "Scanned images need to be reviewed and deemed
> legible and stored in the trusted system prior to deleting the paper
> original.   No page of any record, paper, or document shall be destroyed if
> any page cannot be reproduced on film with full legibility. Every
> unreproducible page shall be permanently preserved in a manner that will
> afford easy reference."

As stated by others, a big part of the answer is based on WHAT you are
trying to achieve and WHY.  Prep, scan, QC, auditing, metadata
entry/indexing, QC (again), post-processing and long-term management of
digital assets isn't inexpensive.

If it's simply to save space and cost for storing paper, depending on how
long you have to retain the records and how many times you're going to have
to convert/migrate them, you MAY NOT save anything.. In fact, you may end
up spending even more.due to costs of conversion/migration multiple times.

Many times, there is value in digitizing to provide easier access to
records, providing you can collect sufficient metadata while indexing the
records to simplify finding them and accessing them,  but if you add a
pointer to where the physical format source documents are and store them,
they can still be declared the "record" and you can avoid the costs of
repeated conversions.

Here are two of the best sources for guidance in CA.  If after reading
these you are unsure, you can contact someone with the state to determine
if there is any more specific guidance for Transportation records.

http://www.documents.dgs.ca.gov/osp/recs/ermhbkall.pdf

http://www.sos.ca.gov/archives/local-gov-program/pdf/records-management-8.pdf

And although this is related to Florida (not CA), they give direct
guidance, BUT they have a State Administrative Code that covers the subject.

http://dlis.dos.state.fl.us/barm/handbooks/electronic.pdf

Larry

*Lawrence J. Medina Danville, CARIM Professional since 1972*