From:
"Nemchek, Lee" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Mar 2014 19:26:50 +0000
I'm wondering what the consensus or general best practice is regarding customer access to the contents of vendor-provided shredding bins.  For those that have a contract for certified document destruction pickup services with an outside, third-party vendor, do you - as the client - keep one or more sets of keys that open the bins, in order to occasionally assist internal customers with dumping large amounts of paper into the bins?  Have you been prohibited by Legal, Compliance or Management from this practice because having access to the contents of the bins would invalidate contract clauses regarding remedies for vendor breach of confidentiality provisions?

This has never come up for me before, but, now that I'm giving it some thought, it seems that even one person having bin keys would compromise a company's standing to sue its vendor or otherwise recover damages for breach.  Any thoughts?

--Lee

[cid:image001.jpg@01C835A9.825DF540]
Lee R. Nemchek, MLS, CRM, IGP
Vice President, Enterprise Records Governance
Oaktree Capital Management, L.P.
333 South Grand Avenue, 28th Floor
Los Angeles, CA  90071
p +1 213 830-6252   f +1 213 830-8504