From:
Bruce White <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Mar 2014 15:45:34 -0400
Lee,

A great ponder on a Friday afternoon.  In a former life I managed a
company's shredding contract which serviced facilities in about 45 states.
My rule of thumb (supported by my legal department) was that I didn't want
the keys because of the potential liability.  I regularly communicated this
on to all of our facilities, warning them that the bins were only to be
used for records that should be shredded.

Interestingly I had one instance where a branch decided to use one of the
bins as a container for their drivers to place cash and checks in they
collected from their daily runs.  They weren't  weren't suppose to do of
course.  They somehow convinced the local guy to leave the bin alone
against his company's policy.  He called in sick one day and his sub picked
up the bin without any one noticing.  As it turned out the bin had over
$600 and he of course took it to their shredding facility.  The branch
manager called me frantically asking for assistance.  I was fortunate to
contact our rep and after a couple of hours of searching money was found.
Needless to say a few individuals were reprimanded over this.

Bruce White, CRM, PMP
Virginia Beach, VA
e-mail: [log in to unmask]
LinkedIn:  http://www.linkedin.com/in/bblanco