From:
Chris Caplinger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Mar 2014 10:59:29 -0400
Lisa,

Bernard suggested ABBYY for OCR and in my experience they are the best
company to work with from the recognition side.  My previous company OEM'd
their engine and we had great success with it.

The second part to your question about extracting keywords is possibly a little
more difficult.  Are you wanting to identify specific keywords such as places,
times, people or looking for more specific data like account numbers or SSNs?
Also, are the documents structured (like a form) or unstructured (like a letter
or contract)?  Would you then put these into the Enterprise Keywords in
SharePoint, or are you looking to just have the full text available to the search
engine?

Sorry for all of the questions back, but all of this makes a difference on the
technologies needed.  Of course OCR is the first step needed regardless.  The
difference could be just using a recognition server versus needing data
extraction technologies or even semantic type searching capabilities.

Be happy to help you more offline too if you'd like.

Chris Caplinger