From:
Tim Barnard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Jun 2015 13:26:57 -0400
I spent 29 years working with land records, both as an employee and a
researcher; that's how I eventually got into records management. Back
when I started it was all paper-based, but I watched more and more
become electronic. Our office finally got to where all newer filings were
electronic-only, and those that were available online were identical to what
you would see in the office.

Redaction of information vital to a title search would make it much harder
and more expensive for current or subsequent owners to sell property or
borrow money against it. What sounds like a good idea to one group can
have terrible consequences for another. This would be a nightmare for both
the clerks and those who research these records.

In Mississippi certain personal info about law enforcement officials is
confidential, but so far they've never tried to do anything to the land
records.

By the way, concerning fires, one of our counties' courthouse burned at
night a couple of years ago. The records in the land vault, where the vault
door was closed, were wet but otherwise undamaged. Records on second
and third floor were destroyed -- all paper-based with no duplicates.