From:
Patrick Cunningham <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Aug 2015 17:07:37 -0500
Apparently this email problem is systemic.

The finding is on page 42 of the IG report, There is also a records
management finding on p. 14.

https://oig.state.gov/system/files/isp-i-15-35a.pdf

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/inspector-general-cites-caroline-kennedy-for-using-private-email/article/2570807

http://www.usnews.com/news/politics/articles/2015/08/25/watchdog-us-ambassador-kennedy-used-private-email

The law and regulations have not changed substantively during the entire
history of email. The definition has always included "regardless of
physical form or characteristics" -- there has never been, IMHO, a need to
explicitly call out email. This whole. "Oh, I can use my personal email for
official purposes" line of thinking is inherently absurd. Yes, people make
mistakes. Yes, there are situations that arise where it might be absolutely
essential to use a third party email system to communicate something of
urgency via email. But those exceptions were never intended to allow people
to sidestep the official recordkeeping systems.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/44/3301

Patrick Cunningham, FAI