From:
Hugh Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 21 Nov 2015 20:22:53 -0500
> Subject: Historic records in danger
> Date: November 20, 2015 at 7:47:24 PM EST
>

> The court records from the original trial in 1964 of Byron De La Beckwith
> in the slaying of civil rights leader Medgar Evers are stored in paper
> files or binders somewhere in Hinds County.
>
> Officials just aren't sure exactly where.
>
> There are shelves and storage rooms full of old court records in the Hinds
> County Courthouse and other locations in the county. Some of those
> records can never be destroyed, according to state law. However, many are
> in danger from storage in leaky rooms, leading to mildew and mold.

This is ironic as the primary benefit of paper is that it can survive “benign neglect” which all records eventually experience.  But mold, mildew, varmints and such destroy all over time.

Our earlier discussion of conversion of audio recordings to written records is one such attempt to improve on the short lifespan of digital and analog sound recordings.

Hugh Smith
FIRELOCK Fireproof Modular Vaults
(610)  756-4440    Fax (610)  756-4134
WWW.FIRELOCK.COM