From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Feb 2016 12:51:12 -0800
On Fri, Feb 19, 2016 at 5:09 AM, Gary Link <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> I've been discussing long term data storage with some technology folks.
> One of the many points they make is that keeping the data is not so much a
> problem, the problem is being able to read it over time specifically
> because in a computer application the programming also may change
> periodically, say, every 12 18 months. Items called copybooks change with
> these iterations and if your not keeping them you can't read that former
> version of the code. I sort of almost understand this. But I'm looking for
> some help from the more computer programming literate members of the list
> who may better understand this particular aspect of data storage and
> explain in layman's terms.

Gary-

When you talk about "copybooks", I'm assuming you're talking about the
variety mainframe computer users and programmers use to essentially store
'code' that they re-use and modify?

If so, I'm not sure what their concerns are about "long term" storage,
because the majority of this "stuff" is extremely volatile and is ALWAYS
changing... so the need to store long term should be limited.  Unless in
their estimation "12-18 months" is long term =)

For most of us in RIM... we're looking at 15 years (or MUCH longer) as long
term.  And in THOSE cases, yes, there are many concerns about volatility
and obsolescence of applications/software, hardware and media.  But even
then, we're looking at the need to inspect and potentially "cycle"
information every 8-10 years... generally, the minimum periods are 3-5
years for inspection of samples to ensure there is no media degradation.

A lot of this depends on the types of information being stored and the
manner in which is it stored.  Information that is highly "application
dependent", for example Word documents or Excel spreadsheets, stored in
native MS Office formats, that are highly formatted, use lots of style
sheets, special fonts, embedded commands, etc. are VERY volatile and need
to be looked at carefully.  When the applications 'upgrade', many times
they stop supporting some of these special items and you may not be able to
access them as they were originally created.  I know many are having
problems accessing Word95 and 97 documents now, and lots of text turns to
gibberish when you try to open them in Word10 or 12.

In cases like this, if a PDF was created you can at least SEE what the
document SAID...or if a plain TXT or TIFF file was saved, you have the vast
majority of the content for possible re-use.

I don't think this answers your question about how to save copybooks gfor
long term use, but it might arm you with the ability to ask follow-up
questions, like

"When YOU say long term, what does that mean to you?"
"What formats are these items created in and are they application/software
dependent?"
"How (and where) are you storing them now?"

Larry

--
Larry

*----Lawrence J. MedinaDanville, CARIM Professional since 1972*