From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Feb 2016 08:48:46 -0800
On Tue, Feb 23, 2016 at 8:25 AM, Bruce White <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Follow-up from last weeks discussion...
>
> <snip>
> If the technology, known as mobile device management, had been
> installed, San Bernardino officials would have been able to remotely
> unlock the iPhone for the FBI without the theatrics of a court battle
> that is now pitting digital privacy rights against national security
> concerns.
> <snip>

"Gartner Inc., a technology research firm, estimated that over 60 percent
of large enterprises — meaning business, government and educational
entities — used some kind of MDM software as of last year, though not
necessarily on all company-owned devices. That percentage is likely higher
now than when the research was done months ago"

So let's take this a step further... for those of you who have company
provided devices...AND for those of you who have entered into a BYOD "use
contract" with your organization.

DO YOU KNOW if the devices THEY own, or the BYOD contract YOU AGREED TO
results in the installation of software such as the "MDM" applications this
article talks about?  I mean, I know HERE... when you agree to "BYOD", thee
is software you download and install on your device to enable you to manage
your desk phone calls and/or email on your device, which is a big part of
why you have it... but because I didn't agree to the program, I don't know
WHAT is in that package of data.

I can understand if it's an organizationally provided and owned device why
they would want to have this type of software on it- if you report it lost,
they can remotely wipe the memory and disable it.  BUT.. would you want
them to have this level of control over YOUR device, and to be able to wipe
it and disable it remotely, especially if it can't be done selectively to
only THEIR data?

For me, it's bad enough they can track the device and gain information
regarding its usage (a large part of why I disagreed to join Team BYOD) but
to be able to wipe it and disable it?  No way....

Larry

--
Larry

*----Lawrence J. MedinaDanville, CARIM Professional since 1972*