Date:
Thu, 3 Mar 2016 18:02:34 -0700
I've been thinking about this topic for months ever since the conference.  I agree with all of the comments and in particular Stimmy's and Sharon's.

The conference was disappointing with the emphasis on IG.  RM was almost an afterthought which I guess I should have expected. I won't bore everyone with the details except say only a couple of sessions were about records management, the best was given by Tina Torres. Many of the vendors were were selling "IG solutions" - reminded me of the knowledge management phase. Since the conference I can't tell you the number of vendors emailing me about their IG products - fill up my trash box.

The biggest turn off for me was the luncheon on the last day which was essentially a dog and pony show for the virtues of the IGP.  I got up and headed back to PA very disillusioned.   The organization that has been a big part of my professional life since the early 90's is but a shell of what it use to be.

I believe at the last morning session Bob Baird, who is the new CEO, said that in his mind ARMA represents both the RM and IG communities. In my opinion I just don't see how you can represent two different professions especially when by all counts one is trying to assimilate/ convert the other.

My membership is up for renewal and for the first since 1993 when I joined I may not send a check or asking one from my employer.  I find this to believe but I just don't see any benefits. ARMA's leadership needs to take a hard look at who it's real constituency is and let the members know. Be honest with us since we are paying some of the bills - that's all I ask.  If you really don't think records management is the future tell me.  I can find another organization to send my money too.

Bruce
Sent from my iPad