From:
"McKee, Robert W." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Mar 2016 18:53:51 +0000
Good afternoon,

Like most companies, we exchange data with several third party vendors.  This data might be kept by the vendor as part of an SaaS, or it might be transitory data that, while not considered a Record, is still discoverable. Larger vendor agreements that involve confidential information (such as HR services) are high-visibility and easily addressed, but ensuring all contracts line up with your company RIM policy is tricky at best.

I'd like to hear how other companies ensure vendors retain information in accordance with the company's RIM policy and retention requirements.  If the vendor has an archival process or policy that does not meet your RIM policy, how is that reconciled?  Some data might reside on their archival backups for years - what agreement do you have in place to address this data in a reasonable and obtainable method?

Do your standard contracts include language addressing this, and if so, how do you provide the vendor with your policy & retention requirements? (i.e. Via a secure vendor website, electronic documents, etc.)  I suspect you do not share your entire retention schedule with vendors - so, are you involved with every contract signed, determine the Record Category, and then provide the specific retention requirement?  And how does the vendor provide proof of destruction?

Is there a limit to how many questions I can ask in one Listserv email???

I have searched the Listserv archives on this subject and found some good info - I'd love to hear the latest feedback you all have!

Thank you,
Bob

Robert McKee
Records Manager