From:
Stephen Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 31 Mar 2016 19:09:38 +0000
"Right or wrong, young people no longer believe that there is value in face-to-face networking in the age of LinkedIn, Facebook and Twitter and association memberships everywhere are falling year after year as a result.  Further, ARMA must explain if it believes someone can be an 'information governance professional' without being trained in records management.  It must also explain where on the corporate hierarchy the two separate professions would be expected to reside.  In other words, does a 'records manager' work for an 'information governance professional' or is it the other way around?  Alternatively, ARMA could declare 'information governance' is simply another term for the work its records manager members perform and leave it at that.  This would undoubtedly be the simplest solution."

Brian:

Thank you for sharing this wonderful open letter from Don.  I should just copy Don's entire letter and say, "Yeah, what he said!"  I called out a few quotes from Don's letter above.  The only reason I attend the ARMA conference is for the opportunity to network face-to-face with the peers in my industry.  The meeting we have as part of the roundtables at the beginning of each conference are by far the best meetings I have every year at the conference.

I plan to attend ARMA this year but it might be my last, especially if I am force fed anymore stuff on Information Governance.  As anyone who has read my posts about IG before on this forum knows, I am not a fan of the IG push by ARMA and I think ARMA does so to the detriment of the Records Management profession and the many thousands of records management professionals.  I certainly understand the need to bring all of the many functions of a company together to the same table including RM, Internal Audit, Compliance, Data Analytics, Legal, E-Discovery, IT, etc.  I also understand that the focus of today's business world is not paper and should be on electronic data and information.  But, why can't this person just be the Records Manager?  Why does it have to be an Information Governance Professional?  To Don's quote above, I think ARMA should declare IG as something that Records Managers do and have been doing for the last few decades.

Thanks, Steve

Stephen A. Smith, MLIS, CRM, CEDS, CIP, CDIA+
Manager, Corporate Records
QVC, Inc.  Global Records Management
O:484.701.1559
F:484.701.1021
C:484.905.2517
E:[log in to unmask]
A:Studio Park, 1200 Wilson Dr., MC207, West Chester, PA, 19380-4262

This message (including any attachments) contains confidential information intended for a specific individual and purpose, and is protected by law. This e-mail may also contain (a) information subject to the attorney/client privilege, or (b) attorney work product. If you are not the intended recipient of this e-mail (even if the e-mail address above is yours), (i) you may not use, copy or retransmit it, (ii) please delete this message and (iii) please notify the sender immediately. Any disclosure, copying, or distribution of this message or the taking of any action based on it, is strictly prohibited.