From:
Sharon Burnett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Apr 2016 20:22:55 +0000
Thinking more about ARMA, AIIM, IG, RIM, and cosmic consciousness.

Those of us that have been in the records & information management field for years have seen many efforts to re-name or re-brand core records management practices. I read some time back the headline from a blog, "Records Management is Dead". This piece touting the demise of the records manager to be replaced the a more tech-savvy IG manager. I was highly offended by the article. Then I read the vendor connection. So began my dislike for IG. I haven't said too much on this forum for a long time as I've felt my opinions were not shared.

Perhaps my view is somewhat colored. I like the IG model and have used it here in a couple presentations. But is it anything new or earth shattering? I don't believe so. I think if we're doing our jobs and staying up with technology we realized a long, long time ago that our path included keeping up with IT and legal. Lucky me - I've been in legal, IT, and now reside in compliance. I haven't processed a paper file in a long time. I write policy and procedure; train the minions and work out the kinks between IT operations, data security, compliance, and legal. I work in an interesting environment with everything from normal business records to museums to sports teams to brain science and artificial intelligence.

I am still the corporate records manager. The pay me to learn, to teach, and to provide unique solutions for an ever growing affiliate team. I want a dynamic professional organization that somewhat reflects what I do for a living. I want that organization to be ARMA. I will remain optimistic.

Rock on!
Sharon

Sharon Burnett, CRM
Seattle Washington USA

"If it ain't broke, take it apart and see why. If it is broke, take it apart
and see why."