From:
Bruce White <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Apr 2016 12:36:59 -0400
Blake,

I've been in the field for a long time, over 30 years, and like you
and others have seen lots of changes.  To your point below - I believe
many of us who are professionals have been thinking beyond storage,
CM/ERMS, disposition, etc. long before the idea of IG came into being.
I know I have for many years and a quick review of the listserve
archives indicates others have well.  We've all faced the the
challenge of get our organizations to understand that information, no
matter the format, needs to be managed and developing appropriate
strategies .  Some of us have had success, others not so much.  But
that doesn't mean we haven't tried.

Part of the problem IHMO is that we really haven't had an advocate on
our side for the past few years.  As Steve W. pointed out ARMA sort of
dropped the ball on electronic records years ago. I know members of
previous boards tried to get in front of the issue but for various
reasons were unsuccessful.  I also know some in the profession
resisted as well.

Remember the big fanfare over GARP and the publication of the RIM
Competencies and how they were going to help us out?  In fact the ICRM
Exam Development Committee used GARP as a foundation for testing when
it first came out.  Now, nary a word.  In the meantime there has been
a push to advance IG which I think has muddied the water.

By the way both are available on ARMA's website if you look at the
right place.  I just checked - the Competencies haven't been updated
since 2007.  GARP doesn't have a version date so I am guessing it
hasn't been reviewed since it was published.

Bruce White, CRM, PMP
Radnor, PA
e-mail: [log in to unmask]
LinkedIn:  http://www.linkedin.com/in/bblanco